Cinco de Mayo is a holiday to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride. However, the holiday is now widely celebrated in America as a time to drink and hang out with friends. As we celebrate Cinco de Mayo, here are five important facts you should know about drunk driving:
- You don't need a 0.08 blood alcohol level to be arrested for a DUI. While it's true that you are presumed drunk if you drive with a blood alcohol level above 0.08, you should know that you can still be arrested and charged with a DUI even with a much lower blood alcohol content. Generally, if your driving is impaired by alcohol, you can be charged with a DUI regardless of your blood alcohol level.
- Holidays are not a time off for police. You should not count on law enforcement being off the streets during the holidays. In fact, the opposite is true. Law enforcement personnel know that holidays are peak times for drunk driving and step up their efforts to catch DUIs during these times.
- You can be penalized even if you're not impaired. If you are stopped for a DUI, you could face serious consequences even if you are sober. For example, if you refuse a blood alcohol test, you could face a license suspension under the state's implied consent law regardless of whether you are impaired.
- It's not legal to drive high. There has been a lot of confusion over recent laws legalizing recreational marijuana use. It is legal in certain circumstances to smoke marijuana recreationally. However, it is still illegal to drive impaired while under the influence of marijuana.
- A King County DUI attorney can help. You will need an experienced advocate if you are charged with a DUI. You could face serious criminal penalties including jail time and an attorney can advise you on your options and possibly seeking a plea deal.
Schedule a Consultation With a King County DUI Attorney
To learn more about how a DUI attorney can help you, contact Cowan Kirk Gaston Wolff at 1-866-822-1230 to discuss the specifics of your case.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment